Amber Hunt, BSDH Post-Licensure Online Program Director
The Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene (BSDH) Post-Licensure Online program is designed for students who have completed a certificate or associate degree from an accredited dental hygiene program and desire to continue their education toward a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene. The program provides an opportunity for the licensed dental hygienist to gain knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary for expanded career opportunities in education, oral health promotion, research, community and public health, management, and marketing. This program also provides a strong foundation for graduate studies. A minimum of 120 credit hours is necessary to obtain the baccalaureate degree. The length of time required to complete the program and University requirements is determined by the number of acceptable college transfer credits; at least 30 credit hours must be taken at Old Dominion University. Students can expect to complete the program in three academic semesters of full-time study. The BSDH Post-Licensure online program is available online or as a hybrid of online and on-campus courses.
Admission to the Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene Post-Licensure Online Program
A licensed dental hygienist educated at another institution who desires to pursue the Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene should apply and be accepted by Old Dominion University as an upper-level dental hygiene transfer student. Formal acceptance as a dental hygiene major will be determined by the Admissions Committee for the BSDH Post-Licensure Online Program. The School of Dental Hygiene BSDH Post-Licensure application must be submitted to the American Dental Education Association's Dental Hygiene Centralized Application Service (ADEA DHCAS) website (https://adea.org/dhcas.aspx) and must have "Verified" status to be considered complete and ready for review. Admission to the University does not constitute admission to the dental hygiene program.
Transfer applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Graduation from an accredited dental hygiene program.
- Successful completion of all University lower-level general education and department requirements.
- Submission of application to the Old Dominion University Office of Admissions including official high school and college transcripts.
- Acceptance to Old Dominion University.
- Submission of completed School of Dental Hygiene BSDH Post-Licensure application to the American Dental Education Association's Dental Hygiene Centralized Application Service (ADEA DHCAS) website (https://adea.org/dhcas.aspx) with the following items:
- Official transcripts from high school and college academic institutions attended
- Copy of National Board Dental Hygiene Examination Score
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Current healthcare provider CPR/AED certificate/biennially requested
- Current resume
- Registered Dental Hygienist License