Within each concentration, there are thesis and non-thesis options.
Justin Haegele, PhD, Graduate Program Director
2009 Student Recreation Center
Admission and Entrance Requirements
Applicants for the MSEd in Physical Education are required to submit credentials for consideration through the Office of Graduate Admissions at Old Dominion University. Students applying for admission with regular status must have:
- A completed online application via www.odu.edu/admission/graduate
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution or an equivalent degree from a foreign institution
- 2.8 cumulative GPA or higher (on a 4.0 scale ) *
- 3.0 GPA or higher in the undergraduate major *
- A combined GRE score of 291 or higher (verbal and quantitative sections) *
- Personal essay (no more than two pages) addressing motivations to apply to program, career interests, and ability to complete graduate level work
- Three letters of recommendation (from former professors or employers)
- Current copy of résumé
- Transcripts from all prior postsecondary institutions
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 on the paper-based test (or 79-80 on the iBT) for non-native English speakers
- Have passing scores for Virginia Communication & Literacy Assessment (VCLA) or equivalent tests
* Students who have a low GPA or a low GRE score may be considered for admission with provisional status.
* The program admissions committee will consider GRE waiver requests for high potential candidates by considering application elements that demonstrate the ability to take on the rigor of graduate level studies. A request for a waiver does not guarantee that a waiver will be granted.
Specific requirements for the program are as follows (33 total graduate credits with additional credits up to 54 as needed to satisfy Virginia licensure requirements):
|Prerequisites for VA Teaching Licensure|
|Biology for Nonscience Majors I|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I|
or BIOL 240
|Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology I|
|Foundations of Education, Physical Education and Health|
|Teaching of Team Sports|
|Teaching Individual Sports and Dance|
|Teaching Injury Care for Sports|
|Teacher Candidate Seminar|
|Reading and Writing in Content Areas|
|Practicum Experience and Instructional Planning in Health and Physical Education (^)|
^Field Observation and/or teaching experience required
|Master Level Core Course Requirements|
|HPE 719||Planning and Administration in PE and Sport Programs||3|
|HPE 720||Curriculum Development in Physical Education||3|
|HPE 740||Motor Learning and Development||3|
|HPE 745||Assessment/Evaluation and Technology in Sport/PE||3|
|VA Teaching Licensure Requirements|
|HPE 402||Methods and Materials in Health Education||3|
|HPE 430||Nutrition and Fitness Education||3|
|HPE 504||Adapted Physical Education||3|
|HPE 509||Exercise Physiology||3|
|FOUN 611||Introduction to Research Methods in Education||3|
|or FOUN 612||Applied Research Methods in Education|
|FOUN 722||Introduction to Applied Statistics and Data Analysis||3|
|HPE 668||Internship in Health & Physical Education||6|
|Electives when needed (advisor approval required)|
|HPE 636||Research Problems in Health & Physical Education||3|
|or HPE 721||Motivational Issues in Sports|
|Total Credit Hours||39|
Continuance and Exit Requirements
Students must meet all requirements for continuance as outlined in the graduate continuance policy for the University. Students completing the program of study must:
- Have an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in the major
- Demonstrate writing proficiency
- Satisfy all course competencies
- Complete an internship or research problem or thesis
- If doing an internship or research problem, also pass a comprehensive examination
- Have an exit interview with the program director
- File the necessary paperwork for graduation
Additional Information and Requirements
- Passing score on PRAXIS II Test of Content Knowledge must be on file in the Office of Clinical Experiences before the teacher candidate internship can begin.
- Passing Scores on the VCLA will be required by the Virginia DOE for Licensure.
- With approval from the graduate advisor, the licensure requirements may be fulfilled by equivalent undergraduate courses where applicable.
Certificate of completion in First Aid/AED/CPR, Dyslexia Awareness Training, Child Abuse and Neglect Recognition and Intervention Training, Regulations Governing the Use of Restraint and Seclusion in Elementary and Secondary Schools, and Cultural Competence Training must be on file with the Office of Clinical Experiences.
** Background check clearance required for teaching licensure admission: https://www.odu.edu/success/academic/teacher-education/placement/background-checks.